My First Mom Getaway (Heading to the 2:1 Conference)
I have a confession. I have never spent more than a day away from my children not even when I attended Hearts at Home. No overnight trips. No extended girls weekend. Nope, none of that. I wondered if I this was a rarity since many of my friends don't mind getting away sans children. I was recently reminded that there are other moms who are just like me, moms who haven't found a reason or two to head out alone for more than a day. I have finally found my reason, and it's the 2:1 Conference which will be held in Ohio this year.
If you've read this blog for awhile, you would have noticed that over the past few years I have started to put a little more effort into it. There are more frequent posts and a lot more transparency. I have finally felt into a rhythm of sharing more and I really enjoy it. I appreciate the friendships that have come from Joy in the Ordinary (formerly, A Little This ... A Little That). Earlier this year, I made the decision to go a bit deeper into this journey, and part of that was to attend my first blogging conference. I wasn't sure which one I would attend. I prayed and prayed. The 2:1 Conference won out this year. I am so excited because not only will I learn about the blogging craft, but I will be able to hang out with other home educating moms. The theme for this year is REVIVAL which causes me to anticipate a refreshing time and some rejoicing.
I leave in exactly 48 hours. We have started our fall break so that we all can have a little breathing room before I head out on my big adventure. Last night I began packing because I tend to forget and lose things in a matter of minutes. Last night, I actually misplaced a sock that I just purchased and taken out of the package. It happened in less than a minute. This is why I have to prepare a bit a early, LOL.
Packing for the 2:1 Conference
Since this is my first blogging conference, I am not 100% certain what to take. But here goes.
- Clothing and shoes for three days. The conference is held from Friday through Sunday. I will already be dressed for Friday upon arrival, but I am bringing an additional outfit in case I change my mind about what I want to wear.
- Bathing suit. I forgot to add this to my suitcase so I am glad this post is happening. The conference is taking place at a resort. I doubt that I will swim, but I might sit at the edge of the pool or go around the lazy pool if they have one.
- Notebooks, pens, and planner. I have to have my writing supplies after all this is a blogging conference. I packed my writing supplies way before I packed my clothing, LOL. I was able to get a cute, new journal from the (in)courage meetup I attended a few weeks ago, and my husband also gifted me one of his notebooks I had been eyeing. I am somewhat of a notebook addict.
- Laptop. Did I mention I like to write? I am hoping I will be able to implement a few ideas why I am away so the laptop is coming along for the journey.
- Money. I have to feed myself during some of the conference so I can't go without money. I am also planning to bring the girls back a souvenir although Dad doesn't think it is necessary. Some things I just can't help. :)
- Miscellaneous stuff like my CPAP machine. I have sleep apnea so I have to use it if I want a good night's rest. Cell phones with lots of memory to take pictures and livestream. A book and coloring book for my flight. Just a few things that keep me smiling and sane.
- ME! I am an introvert so I have to pack away all of those tendencies I fall into when meeting new people. I am grateful that I already got pushed out of my comfort zone by agreeing to room with two of my Periscope buddies. I believe this decision will help me ease into the conference without much worry and more excitement.
I can't believe after nearly 12 years of being a mom, I am going somewhere without my daughters. They are thrilled for me. They have been counting the days until I leave as an encouragement for me to go out and enjoy myself. It's a blessing to have a supportive family.
Have you taken a trip without your family recently? If so, for how long? If not, what's stopping you?