Five Courses We're Using Through SchoolhouseTeachers.com
This post contains affiliate links.
It is that time of year when everyone is planning and preparing to give their children the best year yet. There's talk online and off about the resources and curriculum that will be used in specific households. Well, I am adding my two cents to the conversation.
As each year passes, I have added more and more to our learning arsenal. There are times when I look around and feel like we have too many options. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the options, but I have noticed that we aren't able to use all of our resources each year. This is why I am being intentional about particular online resources we will be using this year. I am making it a point to be ahead of the game, and print out the activities and lessons I want to use with the girls.
Our Course Selection for 2016-2017
- Health 101: This year I want to take time to intentionally reinforce healthy living. We often talk about being healthy, but I also want them to learn the science behind why we should make healthy choices not simply for weight or because mom said so. I am looking forward to this course with them.
- Music Theory I: We have yet to do a music course therefore music is on the top of our list for learning this upcoming school year. The music theory course spans over 16 weeks covering the musical alphabet, dynamics, tempo, and more. Since I don't have a background in music I will be learning right along with the girls.
- Paint with Your Words: The girls are decent writers, but they could use some direction in finding more vibrant words to get their points across. The Paint with Your Words course encourages the writer to be more creative with word choice.
- Opening the Door to Poetry: We don't use a reading curriculum anymore therefore I have to be intentional to incorporate a variety of literature into our schedule. I was happy to run across this new poetry course on SchoolhouseTeachers.com. I have already printed it out, and I am pleased with the way the instructor has written the course and the assignments she has included to engage students in poetry. This course is for students who have little experience with poetry.
- Hands-On Architecture: SchoolhouseTeachers.com have a variety of courses, and when I came across the architecture elective I knew I wanted to do at least one section with the girls this school year. They enjoy creating and building so to make it a part of our school day will be a pleasant surprise.
We will not be using these courses simultaneously, but instead they will be spread out over the school year. I am thankful that I was able to find a mixture of courses that will help me give the girls a well-rounded year. I have already printed all the available assignments for the courses so I am without excuse for not following through. :)